Sunday, January 30, 2011

Narrative Viewpoints

Hi guys! Today, i shall talk about when i would use the first-person narrative as well as the third-person narrative.

In a nutshell, I would use the first-person narrative when I want to let the reader feel closer to the main character. I would be able to do this as I can express the feelings of the main character easily, as all actions and events are typically seen through his eyes. This also allows me to share the view points and thoughts of the main character to the reader. By writing in a first-person narrative, I am also able to try and create suspense, as the feelings and thoughts of the other characters such as the protagonist, are not expressed. Also, by using the first-person narrative, I am able to express clearly and describe clearly how each event or happening has affected the character, thus allowing the character to easily connect with the reader.

In a nutshell, I would use the third-person narrative when I want to express the views of most characters and to describe all events as if the reader could see them all at once. Next, I would use this narrative where I want to let the reader understand a bit of each different characters, and thus, allowing the reader to know the story better. This narrative should be used when there is no need for suspense, as this narrative will tend to spoil the suspense. This narrative is also easier to use, as one does not need to be very talented as one can express the views of everything easily as compared to the first-person narrative, where all feelings and thoughts of other characters must be written carefully so as to not spoil the first person narrative effect.

~Gordon (:

No comments:

Post a Comment