Friday, February 11, 2011

Personal Response (1)

What memories of my own childhood come to mind as I read about Scout's experiences?

As i read about Scout's experiences from the books, lots of memories of my very own childhood came flashing back to me. Firstly, when I read about how Dill and her brother, Jem, hung out together and did not include her with them, I remembered about how my cousins, back then who were already in upper primary treated me whenever we have a gathering. They would just talk among themselves, and as I was from the lower primary, I had no idea about what they were talking about. Whenever, I go near them to ask them about what they were talking about, they would just call me to go away or they would just ignore me.

I also remembered how my cousins only called for me to get them drinks when I was younger whenever they came over to my house, and ignored me for everything else. This was like how Jem and Dill only called for Scout when they were hanging out together.

Next, when I read about how Jem, Scout and Dill believed the myths and rumours of the Radley place, I remembered back then when I was younger, how my cousins ( I have 12 cousins) who were in secondary school, would scare me by telling me tales about what happens when you look into a mirror in the middle of the night and tales like that. Being ignorant at that time, most of us including me, fell for it, and we got spooked for quite some time and did not look at the mirror at all. My parents told me that it was false and not to believe in it just like how Atticus told Jem and Scout, however, like Jem and Scout, I ignored it, and instead decide to look at the mirror in the middle of the night, and nothing happened. Only then, did I not believe in my cousin’s tales. This scenario was just like how Scout and Jem stuck to the rumours until Boo Radley actually came out to help Scout, which was also like my case.

Done by: Gordon Koh 2i115

3 comments:

  1. Ivan,

    This could be linked to certain superstitions people have too. Also, your two paragraphs about how your cousins treated you made me recall many memories too. The children of my parent's friends left me out sometimes because of two reasons. I was younger and they were girls. It was only after some time was a few other boys and I were allowed to join in their games, which are fond memories of mine.

    2I125

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Kee Xuan,
    I think you have posted this comment in the wrong place. I am gordon. (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry. I was opening your blog and Ivan's blog in two different tabs. I typed on your blog and just pressed post comment. Sorry :D

    ReplyDelete