Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Life and times of william shakespeare 2

2. Elizabeth I and the Politics of the Elizabethan Era

² Elizabeth I: who was she?

² What were England’s international relations like during Elizabeth’s reign?

² What was Shakespeare’s relationship with Elizabeth I?

² Compare Elizabeth I to Portia. How is Portia’s character a tribute to Elizabeth I?

2)Queen Elizabeth I was Queen reagent of England and Ireland from 17 November 1558 to her death. Elizabeth was the fifth and last monarch of the Tudor dynasty. The daughter of Henry VIII, she was born a princess, and she was well-educated. She could speak five languages and enjoyed sports such as dancing.

During Queen Elizabeth I’s early rule, English’s military worked together with Scotland and France, and relationships grew better with Scotland after Mary,Queen of Scots was overthrew, and a military treaty was signed. However, relationships worsened with Spain and Queen Elizabeth I sent an army to protect Spain in 1585. In 1588, Philip II of Spain sent warships to go to war with England, but was defeated, and further attempt proved unfruitful. At that time, there was also trade between England and Japan, Ottoman Empire and Barbary States.

The relationship between Queen Elizabeth I and William Shakespeare is that Queen Elizabeth I frequent watching plays, while William Shakespeare produced plays. However, there is no evidence to suggest that Queen Elizabeth I had actually gone to the The Globe Theatre where William Shakespeare’s play were usually performed. However, William Shakespeare’s company has performed for Queen Elizabeth I’s audiences before.

The similarities between Portia and Queen Elizabeth I’s was that they were both heiress to something, Portia being the heiress to Belmont while Queen Elizabeth being the heiress to the English empire. They were both also the lead in their lives, whereby Queen Elizabeth lead England, while Portia led the court trial. Portia was also able to speak up against man at that time, which held power, and it was the same with Queen Elizabeth.
This thus shows that Portia is a tribute to Queen Elizabeth as they have a similar character and have a similar role in their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment